On Friday, May 15, 2020 the Small Business Administration (SBA) and the Department of the Treasury released the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan Forgiveness Application and instructions for the application.
Applying for Loan Forgiveness
To apply for forgiveness of your Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan, Borrowers should complete this application and submit it to your Lender (or the Lender that is servicing your loan). Borrowers may also complete this application electronically through their Lender.
According to the SBA, “The form and instructions include several measures to reduce compliance burdens and simplify the process for borrowers…” Those include the below:
- Options for borrowers to calculate payroll costs using an “alternative payroll covered period” that aligns with borrowers’ regular payroll cycles
- Flexibility to include eligible payroll and non-payroll expenses paid or incurred during the eight-week period after receiving their PPP loan
- Step-by-step instructions on how to perform the calculations required by the CARES Act to confirm eligibility for loan forgiveness
- Borrower-friendly implementation of statutory exemptions from loan forgiveness reduction based on rehiring by June 30
- Addition of a new exemption from the loan forgiveness reduction for borrowers who have made a good-faith, written offer to rehire workers that was declined
Stay up-to-date on the latest resources and news concerning COVID-19